Monday, December 2, 2013

Ode to Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving approached so did my anxiety level (maybe we should make a rating system for the owner's anxiety...).  I knew it was not going to be a fun weekend for Aggie.  The alternative was to board her in a veterinary clinic that she had never been to, and I figured for a cheaper price she could just stay in her kennel up in our bedroom where I knew she'd feel safe.

And safe she felt.  Every doorbell ring started another round of "Dare you to come up the stairs, open the door, let me out of my kennel" threats that lasted at least 5 minutes each, only to start up again with the next arrival.  Fear wasn't the issue as much as territorialness.  I expected this, and had several yummy treats waiting for her whenever she was quiet between arrivals.  She calmed down after a while, and when everyone had arrived and decided to head out for a walk, I used it as an opportunity for introductions.

After everyone left the house, Aggie bolted out of her kennel and the Great Sniff began.  Once she was satisfied with the information gather session, we leashed up and ran to catch up with the group.  Running helps Aggie.  By the time we see the group, I'm out of breath, and she's feeling great.  She immediately looks to Jack, the visiting dog, and decides he is by far the most interesting individual.  She imitates everything he does, walk looking forward, sniff the ground, sniff that bush, pee over there (yay! friendly signals!).  It was one of the calmest walks I've had with her in a while since she was so focused on him.  There was no room left in her brain to be scared of anything else!  Plus, she was getting a gazillion treats for not bullying him (something she'll do to smaller dogs when she feels overwhelmed or anxious).

Naomi not paying to Aggie.  Aggie with eyes only for Jack.

The arrival home was a different story.  Her anxiety level rose as we all entered the backyard and then the house.  She clearly was not comfortable with Jack on her territory.  So up to the kennel she went, with no resistence, and slept the rest of the day.  This anxiety is hard work!

That evening, after everone went to bed, we let Aggie out to roam the downstairs for a bit before heading back up to the kennel.  Suddenly, Aggie runs to the front door.  The next thing I know, my aunt, who had decided to sleep out in her camper, walks into the house unannounced.  This is the very situation that will put Aggie over the top; the moment in which, if she doesn't control her impulse, she will reach up and snap.

I saw Aggie's body go stiff.  I can't remember who did what first, but both Aggie and I responded appropriately: me by calmly calling her to me, and her by turning away from my aunt and following my direction.  I had no treats in hand, but her eyes were locked on me all the same.  I directed her to the armchair nearby, she hopped up, and I calmly stroked her chest while keeping my entire body between my aunt and Aggie.  There were a few low growls directed at my aunt, but I ignored them, and continued my petting if I heard them stop.  By the time my aunt walked out, Aggie was much calmer and got an awesome treat for her cooperation.  Way to go Aggie!

Overall, the weekend was a success.  Aggie was ready to have her house back, but I think the experience was a positive one; something we should be able to build upon in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment